Tuesday, December 19, 2017

2006 Maison Park Cellar No. 5 Single Barrel # 9266 Borderies Cognac Aged 10 years Binny's Handpicked



A review!

A couple weeks ago I was working my way through my local Binnys, picking up some vino for the wife and depressingly making my way through the uninspiring spirits aisle (at no fault of Binnys, mind you) when I saw a pair of new Maison Park, also known as Cognac Park, single cask cognacs sitting on the shelf. There was a 10 year old from Borderies and a 10 year old from Grande Champagne. I’m a fan of the regular Maison Park Borderies so my curiosity was piqued. The Maison Park Borderies was 90 proof and only $69.99, while the Maison Park Grande Champagne was 98 proof and $99.99. I took the path of least financial resistance and picked up the Borderies.

Brand: Maison Park, also known as Cognac Park. Cognac Park is a brand that is owned by The Distillerie Tessendier estate, a house that purchases eaux-de-vie (generic French term for cognac) from various cognac producers. Cognac Park is a relative young brand from what I can tell. According to their website, the Tessendiers have a long family history in the distillation and production of cognac – but everyone has a story that goes back eons in the booze industry. I’m guessing they operate on a contract basis with distillers and purchase unaged and aged cognac, and then use the purchased cognacs in their blends. Every house is unique so I’m sure I’m oversimplifying their operations a tad.

Region: Borderies. Cognac is essentially broken down into 6 growing regions. The Borderies region is the smallest growing region (52 square miles), has a mix of chalk and clay soil, and runs a tad cooler than the other regions (perhaps due to the clay). Borderies allegedly carries an intense and nutty character. Several large houses, like Martell, source eaux-de-vie from the Borderies region. Whether or not soil, clay, and more generally “terroir” play a factor in flavor is something I intend to explore as I go on – are these factors just different shades of color on the same car or do they imprint a unique flavor onto the spirit?

Binnys provided the following notes for the Maison Park Borderies: “A more delicate nose here with some butterscotch, ripe stone fruits and French oak spice. Round and supple on the palate with peaches, fruit jelly and lingering oak and toffee. Poached pears and delicate spice highlight the finish.”
Here’s my take on this bottle:

Nose:
Butterscotch, Molasses, sweet green tea, lemon, nutmeg
Palate:
A little young wood, brown sugar, more baking spices, pears, almonds...definitely some Werthers Original in the background.

Mouthfeel:
Nice viscousness
Finish:
Settles on the tongue for a nice medium length

This is a tasty Yak. The price makes it even more attractive. It’s not very fruity but that’s ok, it hits on a lot of notes. This would be a great entry level bottle for anyone.

REVISIT
I still really enjoy but now that I've had more time with it I'm giving it a solid B. It's still a great value and worth picking up in my book.

Grade B




No comments:

Post a Comment

Malternative "Avant" Cognac Borderies 1925 Belgium 49%

Today’s review is of a 1925 Borderies from Malternative, an independent bottler based out of Belgium (owned by Pieter Knape) focusing on bot...